The objects of the Conservatoire are:
- manage the Conservatoire and its branches
- organise and run music courses, including courses of music technology at all levels
- promote music and the Mauritian musical heritage
- advise the Minister on short-term and long-term plans for teaching of music and on the need for appropriate research in the field of music
The Conservatoire National de Musique François-Mitterrand is a para-statal body under the aegis of the Ministry of Arts and Cultural Heritage. It was first set up in 1987 as a section of the then Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture. In 1992, it was established as a trust fund by Act of Parliament, thus becoming a corporate body.
The seat of the Conservatoire National was initially at Ebène, and it started its operations in February 1987, while new premises were being built at Mgr. Murphy Avenue in Quatre-Bornes. The inauguration of the new premises was held on the 21st of June 1990 in the presence of Honorable Armoogum Parsuramen, Minister of Education, Arts and Culture, and Mrs Danielle Mitterrand.
Starting with less than two hundred students and around ten teachers, the Conservatoire has now become a major partner in the teaching and promotion of music in Mauritius. An average of 1500 students are enrolled each year, with an average of forty-five teachers working at the head office in Quatre-Bornes and in the five branches currently operational, including Rodrigues.